How to Achieve Depth in Your Décor
- Layer it On: look for texture in your pillows, rugs and textiles. Your artwork can have distressing, patterning and multiple layers within the art to make it more visually interesting and complex.
- Stack it Up: arrange artwork in groupings, combining different shapes and even framed and unframed pieces, add shelves with dimensional objects, toys or books and bring in mirrors for interesting reflections. A straight line across the top of your arrangement can create the necessary unity to bring your collection together.
- Accessorize, Accessorize! Add in a great shape with a bold and functional lamp, mix old and new objects for a more personal feel and stack books to create more dramatic and varied heights.
- Make it Shine: Lighting is jewelry for the home and a pretty chandelier, a slightly zany tabletop lamp or a sweet night light bring warmth to your décor. Again, mirrors can sparkle too!
- Bring Your Sense of Play to the Party: incorporate your child’s art into the space (check out our creative corner for downloadable art projects), make a mobile out of his or her favorite small toys and bring in family collectibles or toys from your past to give a sense of cherished continuity.
- Send us a Picture: We’d love to share your finished space with other parents seeking solutions. Email your photos with any words of design encouragement to firstname.lastname@example.org