The Very Hungry Caterpillar, the beloved book by Eric Carle, was published in 1969. That means it turns 47 years old in 2016! It was published on June 3, but The Very Hungry Caterpillar Day is celebrated every year on the first day of spring, March 20. This year’s celebration is extra-special!
Here are some very interesting facts about The Very Hungry Caterpillar:
- The story was originally going to be about a worm; a bookworm, to be exact!
- On the book’s 40th anniversary, Google created a Google Doodle in its honor.
- The book has been translated into 62 languages, including some you might never have heard of, like Frysian, Catalan, and Urdu.
- One copy of the book is sold somewhere in the world every minute.
- More than 30 million copies have been sold.
And here at Oopsy Daisy, our favorite fact about The Very Hungry Caterpillar is that you can have your very own caterpillar art to hang on your wall. We have The Very Hungry Caterpillar growth charts, placemats, night lights, and personalized canvas prints.